Which Apeks Regulator Should You Choose: MTX-R or MTX-RC?
As an experienced scuba diver, you know that the regulator is the most critical piece of equipment that ensures your underwater survival. And since you're here, you already recognise the importance of choosing a reliable regulator, like Apeks, which scuba enthusiasts highly regard. This article will discuss the distinguishing features between the top-performing Apeks Regulators: the Apeks MTX-R and the Apeks MTX-RC regulators, and their differences.
So let's get started.
The areas we are going to cover in this blog post about factors to consider when choosing between the two regulators:
- Apeks MTX-R First Stage Features & Benefits
- Apeks MTX-R Second Stage Explained
- Apeks MTX-RC Second Stage Explained
- What Are The Differences Between The Apeks MTX-R & MTX-RC
Apeks MTX-R First Stage Features & Benefits
The exceptional features of the Apeks MTX series make it stand out among other diving regulators, particularly the over-balanced first stage, over-moulded first-stage endcap, and environmental diaphragm. These features allow for effortless breathing in extreme temperatures. Moreover, the MTX range undergoes rigorous testing under the stringent conditions of the United States Navy Experimental Diving Unit. It must perform in water at 0.3C and a depth of 60m with a high flow rate. The Apeks MTX series first-stage regulators are designed for challenging diving conditions and icy water. Below are some key features and advantages of the Apeks MTX series' first-stage regulators. The first stage features include:
- Environmentally Sealed: The MTX series is designed with an environmental seal that keeps water, silt, and contaminants out of the internal mechanism of the regulator. This feature helps prolong the regulator's life and reduces the need for maintenance.
- Durable Construction: The MTX series is made from high-quality materials, including marine-grade brass and stainless steel. The regulator is also coated with a hard-wearing PVD finish that resists scratches and corrosion.
- Compact Design: The MTX series is designed to be compact and lightweight, making it easy to carry and use underwater. The regulator is also engineered to reduce the risk of hose snagging and damage.
- High Performance: The MTX series features a balanced diaphragm design that delivers consistent airflow throughout the dive, even in cold water. The regulator is also designed to reduce breathing resistance, making it easier to breathe underwater.
The benefits of the Apeks MTX series' first stage include improved reliability, durability, and ease of use. The regulator is designed to perform in extreme conditions, making it a popular choice for technical divers and sidemount divers and those who frequently dive in cold water. The high-performance MTX series is a versatile regulator that can meet the needs of a wide range of divers. Apeks also created a bespoke regulator set, the Apeks MTX-R Sidemount Regulator Set, specifically because of the unique hose routing features of the first stage.
The Apeks MTX-R Second Stage
The Apeks MTX-R is a high-performance second-stage regulator designed to work with the MTX series first-stage regulators. Here are some of the key features and benefits of the Apeks MTX-R second stage:
- Pneumatically Balanced: The MTX-R is pneumatically balanced, delivering consistent airflow throughout the dive, regardless of depth or tank pressure. This feature helps reduce breathing effort and increases the diver's comfort.
- Reversible Design: The MTX-R can be easily converted from a right-hand to a left-hand hose configuration, making it suitable for both left and right-handed divers.
- Adjustable Inhalation Control: The MTX-R features an adjustable inhalation control that allows the diver to customise the regulator's airflow to match their breathing preferences and diving conditions.
- Diver-Controlled Venturi System: The MTX-R features a diver-controlled Venturi system that allows the diver to adjust the airflow in the regulator. This feature reduces the risk of unwanted free flow and helps to conserve air during the dive.
- Metal Components: The MTX-R has high-quality metal components, including a brass body and stainless steel accents. These materials make the regulator durable and resistant to corrosion and wear.
The benefits of the Apeks MTX-R second stage include improved breathing comfort, versatility, and durability. The regulator's pneumatically balanced design and adjustable inhalation control make breathing easy and customise the airflow to match the diver's needs. Additionally, the reversible hose configuration and diver-controlled Venturi system make the MTX-R suitable for various diving scenarios. With its metal components and robust design, the MTX-R is a reliable and long-lasting regulator that can withstand diving in extreme environments.
Buy Now: Apeks MTX-R Regulator
The Apeks MTX-RC Second Stage
The Apeks MTX-RC is a high-end, high-performance second-stage regulator designed to work with the MTX series first-stage regulators. Here are some of the key features and benefits of the Apeks MTX-RC second stage:
- Pneumatically Balanced: This delivers consistent airflow throughout the dive, regardless of depth or tank pressure. This feature reduces breathing effort and increases comfort for the diver.
- Adjustable Inhalation Control: The MTX-RC features an adjustable inhalation control knob that allows the diver to customise the regulator's airflow to match their breathing preferences and diving conditions.
- Heat Exchanger: The MTX-RC has a heat exchanger around the valve mechanism that dissipates the cold caused by the gas expansion, making the regulator suitable for cold water diving.
- Reversible Design: The MTX-RC can be easily converted from a right-hand to a left-hand hose configuration, making it suitable for both left and right-handed divers.
- Diver-Controlled Venturi System: The MTX-RC features a diver-controlled Venturi system that allows the diver to adjust the airflow in the regulator, reducing the risk of unwanted free flow and helping conserve air during the dive.
- Lightweight Design: The MTX-RC has a lightweight design that reduces jaw fatigue and makes it comfortable for long dives.
- Customisable: The MTX-RC can be easily disassembled for maintenance and is designed with interchangeable parts, allowing divers to configure the regulator to their specific diving needs.
The benefits of the Apeks MTX-RC second stage include improved breathing comfort, versatility, durability, and suitability for cold water diving. The regulator's pneumatically balanced design, adjustable inhalation control, and diver-controlled Venturi system make breathing easy and customise the airflow to match the diver's needs. The heat exchanger allows the regulator to be used in the cold water diving. At the same time, the reversible design and customisable components make the MTX-RC suitable for a wide range of diving scenarios. The lightweight design also reduces jaw fatigue and increases comfort during long dives. Overall, the Apeks MTX-RC is a high-end regulator with exceptional performance, reliability, and versatility in various diving conditions.
Buy Now: Apeks MTX-RC Regulator
What Are The Differences Between The Apeks MTX-R & Apeks MTX-RC
The Apeks MTX-R and MTX-RC are high-performance second-stage regulators designed to work with the Apeks MTX series first-stage regulators. However, there are some subtle differences between the two models. Here are some of the key differences:
- Adjustable Cracking Resistance: The MTX-RC has a diver adjustable cracking resistance, also known as an inhalation control. The MTX-R has fixed non-breathing resistance that is set and can not be adjusted by the diver.
- Weight: The MTX-R is slightly heavier than the MTX-RC, which has a more lightweight design that reduces jaw fatigue and makes it more comfortable to use during long dives.
- Price: The MTX-RC is generally more expensive than the MTX-R due to its additional features, such as the heat exchanger and dual adjustment knobs.
Both are high-end regulators. They both feature the same dropped purge button, raised edges to protect the regulators from damage, and the over-moulded and over-balanced first stage and environmental steal. The most significant difference between the MTX-R and the MTX-RC is that the MTX-RC has a venturi adjuster, which means the diver can lighten up the breathing for warm water diving. Oyster Diving Instructor Tom uses the MTX-RCs and loves the adjustability to tweak them to precisely what he would like the reliability of the MTX range and the ability to use them in all the different types of diving he does.
Both Apeks MTX regulators are ideally suited for recreational, technical or sidemount diving. If you are looking for the last regulator you will ever need, then the Apeks MTX-RC is the weapon of choice!
Now It’s Your Turn:
- What regulator do you dive on right now?
- Which Apeks MTX regulator would you choose?
- Or maybe you have a question about something you read.
Either way, let me know by leaving a comment below right now.